1) I have used many different tools throughout this semester including the wooden rib tool, the ribbon tool, the needle tool, the wire clay cutter and many more. These tools helped me work along because they made it a lot easier to work with clay and other mediums. I used wooden rib tool a lot because it made it a lot easier to smooth the outside of my clay pieces so there were no bumps or bubbles. I also used the clay wire cutter a lot because I could get the exact amount of clay I wanted very easily and efficiently. The function and purpose of the ribbon tool is to help cut off the excess clay you don't need. The function of the needle tool is to make precise incisions and you can also make small holes with it.
2) My knowledge on tools has changed a lot since the beginning of this semester. In the beginning of the semester I only knew what a sponge and paintbrush was but now I know a lot of other tools and what they do. I think learning about all of these tools has helped my artwork to because now I can use the wooden rib tool instead of my hands to smooth out my piece. I also think that learning all of these tools has helped me become more interested in sculpture because it makes it easier for me to accomplish my ideas. For example when I was making my mug it was a lot easier to create since I could use the needle tool to score and slip and i could use the wooden rib to help smooth the outside.
Pick Three Questions:
1) My favorite material I used this year was paper mache. I liked using paper mache because it stuck to my materials very well and didn't come off. I also liked using paper mache because it was kind of messy so it was fun but not too messy so it didn't go everywhere. I also liked using paper mache because you could put it on any material. I really enjoyed working with paper mache because the possibilities were limitless.
2) The thing I found most difficult about this class were coming up with ideas for my pieces. To resolve this in the future I could look up more ideas online and ask Mrs. Sudkamp or the people at my table for ideas. I also found it difficult to work on multiple pieces at the same time. To resolve this in the future I could plan out what project I am working on each day and what I am doing for that project.
3) My most successful piece was my sgraffito piece. I think this piece was my most successful because it turned out exactly the way I wanted it to and the design looked the same way I imagined it in my head. I also really like how simple and clean it is and how the stars are different. To create this design I put black glaze on it then carved away the pieces I wanted to stay white and then fired it and put a few coats of clear glaze on it. While this is my most successful piece there was one issue that I did not plan on happening; the clear glaze was kind of splotchy, but it works with the piece because it looks more like the sky.